My son at his 20 months begins to learn talking actively. It is a very funny stage for all toddlers. When we teach him to speak, he will follow sometimes but sometimes not, unless we seduce him with some foods. He feels funny too when he followed us to speak and will laugh together with us. Sometimes he gets shy and will close his face with his hands.
The 10 first words we taught him to speak besides the papa, mama, jie jie (sister), popo(grandma), pepe(uncle), yiyi(untie), kakak(the maid) are like below:
· Xie xie (thank you in mandarin)
· Hot cili (he pronounced as hot cici)
· Magic (when he hides things under the pillow)
· W-E-L-C-O-M-E (he pronounced as wahlah)
· Moon (he pronounced more like mom)
· Lamp (this he say correctly)
· Qie (cut in mandarin)
· Mom mom(means things to eat)
See how he talked just for the "mom mom"!